Monday, October 26, 2009

My So-Called Green Thumb

I collect plants like a crazy cat lady collects cats. This will probably take on even greater proportions once spring returns - our apartment has a balcony, which means I can now have OUTSIDE plants like trees and mums! I have taken my plants when I moved from Texas to Austin, and one particularly adventurous philodendron traveled with me from Austin, to Cincinnati, to Sarasota and then back to Austin all in one summer. Succulents (cacti, jade plants, etc) are my bad habit; I cannot resist a succulent on sale.

Kalanchoe and aloe

In the interest of full disclosure, here is the list of all the plants currently residing in my apartment:

Indoor Plants

3 Polka-dot plants (Hypoestes phyllostachya)
3 Caladiums/elephant ears (Caladium bicolor)
2 Philodendrons
3-4 Kalanchoe of 2 varieties
1 Escheveria
1 Aloe plant
1 Jade Plant, Gollum variety (Crassula ovata 'Gollum')
1 Maidenhair fern (Adiantum pedatum)
1 Boston fern (Nephrolepis exaltata)
1 Spike/Blue Dracaena (Cordyline indivisa)
1 Vinca vine (Vinca minor)
2 Basil plants
1 Scallion
1 Thyme (Thymus vulgaris)
1 Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
1 Dracena marginata (rescued from an alley)
1 Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima)
3 Moss terrariums with moss from Berkeley, CA and the Seattle area
1 Asparagus fern (Asparagus aethiopicus)
3 Spider plants (Chlorophytum comosum)

Outdoor Plants

1 Japanese Maple var. Seiryu (Acer palmatum)
2 Chrysanthemums (one from the local Dominick's grocery store, and one fancy variety from the Gethsemane garden store)
1 Scarlet Leader Willowleaf (Cotoneaster salicifolius)

Annnd just because I can, here are all the aquatic plants in my two aquariums!
Chris talks to the fishes
2 Broad-leaf sagittaria (Sagittaria platyphylla)
3 Dwarf lilies (Nymphaea stellata)
1 Anubias hastifolia
Several specimens of Cryptocoryne, including wendtii and balansae
Several java fern (Microsorum pteropus)
Clump of Lilaeopsis
Lots of hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum)
Lots of Hygrophila polysperma
Clump of Creeping Charlie (Micromeria brownei)
Clump of Rotala (Rotala indica)
Java moss (Versicularia dubyana)

No comments: